The proliferation of data breaches along with the rising pressure to more effectively safeguard protected health information (PHI) in healthcare is fueling growth in the adoption of single sign-on (SSO) solutions. Designed to relieve the burden of password management while providing a more convenient mechanism for users to access their computer or to the network, SSO solutions offer distinct advantages over traditional passwords including:
- Providing an air-tight security mechanism to authenticate users gaining access to network resources
- Reducing IT support costs associated with password management and help desk overhead
- Minimizing the risk and cost of enterprise data theft from users inside the firewall
- Supporting regulatory compliance (HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley, etc.) with improved security
- Leveraging existing network infrastructure for faster deployment
- Allowing users to quickly lock and unlock their computers with a single proximity card swipe or biometric scan
To dig a little deeper into the importance and urgency of adopting SSO solutions in healthcare, we contacted Ray Madril of Healthcast and scheduled a podcast session to tap into his knowledge and covered the following topics:
- An overview of the current health IT data security landscape and why establishing a secure single-sign on credential is now considered mission critical for the healthcare industry
- The impact data breaches have on the healthcare industry and how a strong SSO solution prevents breaches and their damaging effects
- How implementation of a SSO solution impacts provider workflows and why is this important to patient safety
- E-prescribing is changing healthcare by demonstrating that health IT has become a critical component for the efficient delivery of medicine and cost-effective patient treatments. What role does a secure SSO solution have to support efficient and secure EPCS?
- The different form factors for SSO solutions and the impact of using biometrics such as a fingerprint with an SSO solution to ensure patient safety
- How a successful SSO implementation increases patient safety
Healthcast is RightPatient’s exclusive SSO partner and we recently joined forces to help increase patient safety and provider stronger patient data access security.
Download a copy of the SSO in healthcare podcast and listen to it on the go! Have a friend or colleague that you feel would benefit from the podcast on adopting SSO for stronger data security in healthcare? Please forward them the link.
Have an idea for a podcast? Submit your entry to: firstname.lastname@example.org along with a suggested guest for the topic.